 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 1049
1048  |  1050
Subject:
We need a FULL install of everything!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 18:00:11 GMT

I realize it's *technically* better from a logistics standpoint to require
people to download everything seperately, so they'll get the "absolute"
latest version.

However, I think that you have to give a little something, for the sake of
user friendliness and removing barriers.  Not many people like to build
their own compiler, install Cygwin, etc.  It's too much for many
people...even some programmers like myself!  I'm pretty busy, and I know
there are a lot of people like me.  LegOS can't be that hard, once you get
to the point of writing code, compiling it, and loading it into the RCX.
The hard part is getting the darn Development Environment set up!

Even if you make a 10 MB ZIP file (and/or installer) people could STILL
update parts of the package if they want to.

Also, if something is ANY kind of mature...enough to use right now...it will
be good enough 1 year from now.  I'd rather be able to USE something 6
months old, than something brand new that I can't get installed.

Besides, how long does it take to download the latest DJGPP, re-build the
install file, and re-upload it?  A whole hour?  Big deal, I say.
It would SURE get a lot of people to try LegOS, (instead of using rivals NQC
and the like)  Myself, I used NQC (and still do) but I *really* think LegOS
would be much cooler to work with.

Matt McDevitt
maktos@maktos.com

(message below received by e-mail)
The old version (winlegos011.exe) does have everything you need to get up
and running.  The problem with that version, however, is it required that I
make massive changes to all the makefiles because long command lines are not
supported by these old 16-bit tools.  The newer version, for which these
preliminary instructions were written, uses 32-bit ports of the GNU tools
that get by the command line limit of DOS.  I would not wish to put
everything in one massive ZIP file or installer.  The cross compiler tools
alone are about 5Megs.  Besides, if I were to package everything together it
wouldn't necessarily contain the latest versions.  The DJGPP project (DOS
port of GNU tools) releases updates on a regular basis.

Personally, I downloaded all the files from work and carried them home on a
ZIP disk.  There was no way I was going to download them from home where I
can never get a connection faster than 28.8.  A personal note to my cable
company:  When the hell is Cable Modem going to be available in my area!?
I'm tired of hearing "real soon now".