 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 896
895  |  897
Subject:
New Windows HOWTO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 19:36:00 GMT

This is a little premature since I have not yet made the compiler tools
available, but I thought I would post this information now.  Luis, would you
like these instructions converted to HTML with all the proper links?

legOS on Windows HOWTO

DJGPP tools to download (http://www.delorie.com/djgpp):

djdev203.zip 1,537,611 ; the basic development environment
fil316b.zip  1,001,682 ; file utilities, e.g cp, chmod, etc.
mak3781b.zip   262,337 ; make program
txt122b.zip    831,370 ; text utilities, e.g. sort

Recommended, but not required:

bsh203b.zip    494,346 ; BASH shell
dif272b.zip    293,675 ; file difference, make patch files
pat25b.zip     93,204 ; patch, merge other people's changes
sed302b.zip    107,144 ; regular expression searches

Let's not forget the cross compiler:

GCC-H8.zip  5,038,717 ; GNU 2.95.2 based cross compiler
        ; and bin utilities 2.9.1, I'll post the location in the very near
future

If you are running Windows NT, you need a utility program which provides
long filename support,

http://www.cybertrails.com/~fys/zips/lfn003.zip

If you wish to rebuild the kernel you will need ActivePerl from
http://www.activestate.com.

Don't forget a good text editor.  You need one that recognizes and preserves
UNIX style line breaks.  I personally use UltraEdit,
http://www.ultraedit.com.  If you wish to see a religious war break out in
the legOS newsgroup, post a message asking for a text editor recommendation.

You will also need an unzipping program.  I suggest WinZip.  This should be
the first thing you download since it will be required to unpack everything
else.  http://www.winzip.com

I will assume you used drive C: for the following.  If not, make the logical
adjustment the the instructions.

First, unpack djdev203.zip.  The directory name should be DJGPP, e.g.
"c:\djgpp".  Don't use a different name.

Next, unpack all the other DJGPP packages, including the cross compiler and
tools.  Give the DJGPP path as the extraction location,  make sure "Use
Folder Names" is checked.

Add this to the end of your AUTOEXEC.BAT (WinNT handles environment settings
differently):

set path=c:\djgpp\bin;c:\djgpp\cross\bin;%path%
set DJGPP=c:\djgpp\djgpp.env

Unpack the  legOS files.  WinZip recognizes the .gz file extension, however,
when you downloaded the file it probably had its name changed to
legOS-0_2_3_tar.tar.  Rename it to legOS-0_2_3.tar.gz.  Double-click on it
to open it and extract all the files, make sure "Use Folder Names" is
checked.  I use c:\legOS as the directory name.

Open makefile.common in your editor of choice (UltraEdit, right?).  Find the
line that begins "LEGOS_ROOT =" (or add a new line) and change it to:

LEGOS_ROOT = c:/legos/

Note the direction of the slash characters!  Also note the slash at the end
of the line.  This is very important!

Find the TOOLPREFIX line and modify it if necessary:

TOOLPREFIX = h8300-hms-

If you have a problem with the cross compiler not finding programs, add this
line to makefile.common:

GCC_EXEC_PREFIX = c:/djgpp/cross/lib/gcc-lib/

If you are using any of the included perl scripts, you must modify their
lines to launch the perl program.  In a UNIX environment the perl scripts
are automatically recognized for what they are, in Windows, this is not so
(this change assumes the perl executable is somewhere on the PATH):

MERGEMAP=perl $(LEGOS_ROOT)util/merge-map
GENLDS  =perl $(LEGOS_ROOT)util/genlds
FIXDEPS =perl $(LEGOS_ROOT)util/fixdeps

If you've made changes to AUTOEXEC.BAT, you should reboot before attempting
to compile anything.