 Robotics / 25243
  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) That's sorta right - I used my relationships with the community at large to find just the right candidates. I've actually blogged a bit more about this here: (URL) and there's been literally thousands of applications to the Developer Program! (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

So Jake... How can you be influenced to move a little nobody to the top of the list? I have a couple of kids...oh wait they are my excuse for getting the LEGOS in the first place. I have an attractive wife that cooks well. I'd offer money, but there (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Don't we all? (...) It didn't seem (to me) like the application really got into details. So, maybe this would be a place to speak up. If you were going to be included, what would you do to help the development of the NXT? (remember, if you had (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I am interested in writing a Perl interface to the NXT, assuming that I can get Bluetooth working with my laptop. That was pretty short :) -Tim (18 years ago, 16-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote: <snip> (...) If I were to read etween these lines, would the 4 current MUPs be involved in the selection process of the 100? And what can I bribe you with? Dave K (18 years ago, 16-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) perfect. Steve (18 years ago, 16-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) They've listened to us in the past. But, they've made no commitments to listen to us again. But that doesn't mean I can't ask. So, what would YOU do? Steve (18 years ago, 16-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

I'd ask for them to extend the trial number of people they're selecting up to any number between the current limit and 1000 but I don't have any idea what their manufacturing capabilities are. If they really wanted good opinions, how about (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I'd like to see how much can be done with the Bluetooth and I/O with respect to the RCX and intermixing the two sets. I'd like to add BT to current designs, and having to purchase only one NXT for that would be brilliant. (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I'd build simple contraptions that aren't necessarily predictable. Machines that move and respond are great but the fun lies in stochastic behaviour. I'm thinking that activities that aren't at least a little bit random are boring. Random (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Rafe, I think that's actually what LEGO really wants anyway. The bottom line is the NXT is targeted at kids (of all ages) and needs to be at the very least, FUN! :-)! Btw, I too would be more than happy to just build a lot of stuff using the (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) In a way, the very reason that I don't think Lego would pick me is the reason I think they might. I have been involved in Lego Mindstorms for less than a month. My first set (RIS 2.0) was bought the week before Christmas. I have made a (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

Hi Steve, (...) I would make sure that it works with Linux w.r.t. USB and Bluetooth, and work on porting and extending Lejos for the NXT. Feels like waiting for Christmas again :-) Jürgen (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I'd like to explore the opportunity to build sensors and actuators using the new digital interface. I would also put the new motors on the test bench to see how they perform... Philo (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) What would I do? I'd build robots that beat your robots, like I always do, Steve ;) K, I admit it--it happened only once.... Seriously, I'm more of a builder--I'll leave the development of various software additions and sensor builds to (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Well, I do, but I'm sure as heck not offering her up in trade for a NXT. The NXT can't punch - my wife can. And my wife can already call me up on a cell phone anyway. (...) 1) Mac development - I'd bug test the Mac software, as well as work on (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I'm a software engineer, and I've written and tested code in many fields- education, games, graphics hardware, and web sites. All of these give me insight that should help me thoroughly test the suitability and functionality of both the (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  What would I do and why would I do what I don't want to do :)

(...) My first idea is porting brickOS to the nxt. That could be cool, using more memory, better motors, better sensors, even the bluetooth, wow... But... When I look at me (and at some of the answers from fellow AFOLS), I'm not shure how Mindstorms (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I'd work with the LDraw community to create LDraw parts for any new parts in the NXT bill of materials. I'd create a bunch of MOCs (probably a lot of walkers) limited to the NXT set, and probably write a book of building instructions. I'd (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I would help port leJOS (i.e. Java) to NXT, redo our leJOS website and write a sequel to my first book: (URL) I vouch for Juergen Stuber and Phillippe Hurbain. Juergen is our go-to guy on the leJOS project since Jose resigned, and Phillippe (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I don't envy the people (presumably Soren) that have to roll their sleeves up and make the decision. But what could/would I do to help in the time frame from March to August? 1) I am good at beating software to death. As a former Software (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Kevin - why wait until Brickfest? Make a T3 robot (presumably completely pneumatic) and come to Lafayette for the competition in March. Based on Steve's robot performance Sunday, you would earn a tie by just showing up :) (in all fairness - (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What would I do and why would I do what I don't want to do :)

(...) Mike, a really good post. I know the geek inside all of us wants to explore and hack away at the NXT since it is literally a new toy. But for the Developer's Program, I'm going to take a leap of faith and claim that LEGO will really like to (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What would I do and why would I do what I don't want to do :)

(...) <snipped> (...) Agreement here all around. Mike's post hit well with what I was trying to say last night: what can NXT do when in the hands of someone who doesn't have all the technical acumen of the people who tend to post to this list? (...) (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) How hard would it be to generate LDraw parts from the pictures? I wouldn't mind waiting until August for the real thing if I could start planning right now. (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) From the pictures we've got right now? Pretty challenging. Especially if the parts are odd-sized compared to bricks and beams. But I expect we'll get better pictures before August. So who knows? Of course, the one thing I'll definitely do when (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What would I do and why would I do what I don't want to do :)

(...) Possibly within (URL) BrickWiki>? If you prefer a seperate area, we can set that up for you. Or you can just use Category:NXT. Talk to me (Astronouth7303) or Venkatesh if you're interested. (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I would try to figure out how to program this thing with a more powerful language, and see what it's really capable of. Someone has to be the Kekoa of NXT. (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I run a business that teaches kids Mindstorms in after school groups, birthday parties, and summer camps. I have many kids who are Mindstorms fanatics as well as just curious kids. I teach hundreds of kids each year and would love to work with (...) (18 years ago, 17-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) More powerful than what? (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Good question... My understanding is that something like LabView, which has been used by FLL and others for some time now, is being shipped with NXT. If there are other choices you can talk about, please do! I'm also *very* interested in (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Interesting that nobody picked up on this from the LEGO site: (URL) to the MINDSTORMS Education NXT software, Bluetooth also enables the computer to communicate to several NXT devices at the same time." This tends to imply that the retail (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

--- Ross Crawford <ross.{mylastname}@gmail.com> wrote: <SNIP> (...) It may ship with more features, but I'm betting that AFOLs have it figured out before the NXT sets are on backorder ... around Aug 20th or so. (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) The first thing I thougth of when I heard of the NXT's bluetooth capability was getting it to recieve GPS data from my bluetooth GPS receiver. Obvious NeXT step... a GPS guided LEGO rover. Beyond that a GBC module that can be either autonomous (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) The only discernable difference so far can be gleanned from the published announcements of the retail and educational versions; Rechargeable battery pack not mentioned as available for retail. Legacy motor and sensor connecting wire also not (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I have the following ideas on my plate: 1) Build a unique robot (possibly a next generation DominoBot) with hopes that it may become one of the standard models that can be built with whatever they call the new "Constructopedia". Reference - I (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

"John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote in message news:ItAMx5.19AL@lugnet.com... (...) I assume The NXT will use 6 - 1.5v alakline batteries for a 9v system. Maybe the rechargable pack is a 9.6v nicd or nimh (preferrably). I haven't studied the (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Especially when they are subcutaneous with explosive anti-tamper devices! :) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) No problem, John - we'll just reverse-engineer that as well! Here, just hold still... just a minute, I've almost got it... >BOOM<. oops. hehe. Um, anbody want to step up for the next attempt? This time I'll use something other than a brick (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I'm wondering what it means to be "something like LabView". Robolab is something like LabView, but it isn't LabView. It is a GUI application written in G running in the LabView runtime engine. LabView itself (i.e., the editor and the (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Rafe - you could have replaced that whole paragraph with a simple sentence: "I would build GBC modules." :) Bryan (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) John, Seeing that GPS accuracy is on the order of several yards (optimistically speaking) what LEGO robot wouuld you build that could make good use of GPS, and how would it use GPS? Cheers S (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I would work with Brian Bagnall and Jeurgen Stuber on the port of Lejos to NXT, doing beta testing and documentation. Personal reason : I'll teach an introductory course in robotics with Java at Berkeley in the fall. My dream is to use NXT (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I have a great deal of experience with GPS. The accuracy you mention is indeed correct (the GPS I'm looking at right now is specd at 5 meters horizontal accuracy). However, when you look at second-by-second accuracy, it is much better. A great (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

Hi Ross, (...) I'm sure third-party environments won't have this limitation. More interesting is whether a NXT Brick can be a Bluetooth master, so that NXTs can talk with each other without a host, form networks and swarm all over the place :-) (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) As an electronics engineer, my focus would be on circuits and interfaces. I'll leave the software and firmware to software experts! Firstly, for the benefit of the program, I'd reverse engineer the NXT interface (sensor, motor, power) (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) There are things like this that people could actually start on right now. You know the RCX uses IR and you know the message format. You know the NXT has Bluetooth. The only thing you don't know is the message format. How much work can be done (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) As a software engineer, I'd have to ask why LEGO would choose to write (and support) two versions of the software. And, how accurate are the marketing specs (that may have been written six or eight months ago) for a product that may still be (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

John, The reason I asked is that to get a Lego robot that is moving enough to even use GPS (read moving more than 5 yards, and outside no less) it will take a special build. Your *average* differential drive/steer robot with castor is not likely to (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Indeed - I'm not waiting, though I haven't done much work on point 5) yet. I have been considering the circuit blocks in an interface between the new NXT sensor port and a legacy RCX sensor. Of course I can't post anything yet, since that (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Well, THAT sure stinks. What's the deal on that? Have we hobbyists become second class LEGO citizens to the educational market? Why even bother to have two different release trails? LEGO, what's up with that? DLC (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I totally agree. Try playing with GPS 'cos now you'll be able to! The RCX was so limited by only being able to read a single dimensional value with an effective accuracy of about 1%. I've played with GPS a fair amount too and your description (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) It's probably a software cost issue. National Instrument would want more money for the more capable version of the software. (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) It depends on how rich the environment. If they are only talking specifically about getting us a crippled language then I would agree, but if NXT is really going to be engaging then in typical LEGO fashion they might present challenges and (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I would bet good money that more hobbyists will want to have multiple NXT's talking to each other than educationalists. I can see LegOS (or something similar in concept) implementing bluetooth drivers. I can't see myself using Lego software on (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I can, for at least two reasons: (a) It will likely exist at ship-time. I don't know that the same can be said of a BrickOS port (or a NQC port, which is actually where I'd like to go). (b) The LEGO software may be able to do a lot of things, (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) How about a robot like this: (URL) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote: -snip- Your *average* differential drive/steer robot (...) True enough. I never even considered that type of setup because I didn't think it would work too well. However, a 2wd or 4wd rack & (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I use Linux on all my PC's - the Lego software won't even run - so *FOR SURE* I won't be using the Lego software. I doubt it'll be very hard to figure out how to get gcc to compile for the NXT...but if nobody else has it figured out by then, (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I bought the 4x4 Off-roader just to get these wheels ('course, after I built it, I've never had the heart to rip it down - that's a beautiful model). I always wanted to use them in a MER un-sprung suspension type vehicle (what got me back into (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Ah, OK - you're correct, the unavalibility of a supported environment *IS* a very good reason :-). Actually, I was in a similar situation with getting into Mindstorms initally, as all I had was a Mac. Then, somebody mentioned there was a (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes wrote: -snip- (...) You're right, I think that is the larger problem, but not one that can't be reduced and/or compensated for. The good part is the more satellites the GPS receiver tracks & uses in its calculations, (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

Steve, that is a fine looking robot. How well does it do in grass? It almost looks like it would float :) (...) (URL) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

John, I got to thinking about recent threads about NXT being studless, and since I'm off work sick (uggh, in between naps, I lashed together a new chassis (for DPRG club contests) trying to use small studded beams and studless beams using studless (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Lego off-road (Was: something else)

Steve, Is that the hitechnic compass? How well does it work for you? -dbm (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

Hi John (...) I think those wheels are too heavy, they require so much torque to move that the axles are at their limit. I'd rather use the narrow motorcycle wheels, or somewhat smaller ones, for example those from 4404. Jürgen (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

Wow, that sounds like a nice bit of building there. And while sick to boot! My creations while sick usually don't come out so well because I find it hard to concentrate and build good, solid, well thought out structures. I'll admit to not having (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Those wheels would also be good choices, and they may be better choices than the ones from 8466. However I don't think the wheels from 8466 are TOO heavy. See Steve's post here (URL) here's a link to David Koudys' page where he dropped the RC (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

Steve Hassenplug writes: > If you were going to be included, what would you do to help the development of the NXT? I'd run a mailing list for people to get together and talk about lego robotics. Oh wait, I *already* do that. Hrm. Actually, my (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) i'd test it with people who are and arent into mindstorms to analyze just exactly how simple it is to use (if thats allowed) build models using all parts of the lego system to remind us and show us how its still part of one system of bricks (...) (18 years ago, 20-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) actually it can (as had to be expected), according to the press release for the developer program. "Developers will be encouraged to let their imaginations run wild, building robots that communicate with each other or remote devices through (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Sorry to jump into this thread late -- I was out of town the last couple of days attending a funeral. I coach a First Lego League team, and teach robotics to kids using Mindstorms. I'd like to find out how the NXT system will affect these (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Following Bert van Dam: (URL) would investigate a self-learning robot with NXT via a wireless connection to my computer as a father-son project. (18 years ago, 1-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)