 People / 87
Re: Somebody help.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 05:52:16 GMT

Ryan Smith <kyblue2@zoomnet.net> wrote:
Write a non-sappy non-love poem

Oh great, I just realized something, I can only write about committing suicide
in the 6 grade. That doesn't make a good poem

This is at least the second time you've mentioned these thoughts of
suicide in the 6th grade.  So first, let me urge you, if you still
have thoughts like that - talk to someone - someone IN PERSON about
them.

Second, you're not unique in having thoughts like that.  Lots of
people do at one time or another.  So don't let it get you down that
you may have thought of it, but on the other hand, don't wear it as
some kind of badge either.  Thinking of suicide may not be the most
shameful thing in the world, but it's far from something to be proud
of.

Third, I have to wonder at your desire to keep repeating that you
had these thoughts.  Maybe you're too young to realize it or
something, but you, at your age, telling a group of people like us,
at our age, mainly invokes reactions of pity and concern.  I don't
know about you, but I never enjoyed having people feel sorry for me.

You're going through an incredibly sucky period of life right now.
The easy, stereotypical thing for you to do, as a young teenager, is
to be like your peers and wallow in self-pity, feel sorry for
yourself and how hard it is to get dates or not make the basketball
team or any number of other things that might seem vastly important
to you _now_ but even you will look back on in 5 years and laugh
about.  I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do about this
girl and anything else you try to achieve, but (as you'll realize
when you're 29 listening to a 15 year old talk about how important
his problems are) these are ultimately very non-interesting things
for people other than yourself (and possibly this girl).

So my advice to you, and this is pretty good blanket advice imo, is
to just do what you want to do.  Ask the girl out.  Do it in
whatever way you want.  Or don't do it.  But don't fret about it,
and above all, don't whine about it.

And as for the poetry thing, other than in a very general "I think
it's a little sad that most people don't put their innate creative
abilities to work," I couldn't possibly care less whether you ever
write a line of poetry.  You either do it or you don't, and you
bring it from inside yourself, you don't whine about it or complain
about how the only thing you could write about are childhood
fantasies of suicide.  You do it.  Or you don't.  Either way, you do
it for you, not for anyone else.  I've given you a couple of
suggestions for people you should talk to who would have a MUCH
greater reason for wanting to personally help you with this sort of
thing (your teachers).  Matthew's talked about specific forms and
suggestions.  It's up to you to take that advice/suggestion and act
on it, and comments like the ones you made above don't actually
_accomplish_ anything, they just make it easy for you to not do
anything.

Do or do not.  There is no try.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?