 Off-Topic / Debate / 2359
Re: Somebody help.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 01:29:47 GMT

Sorry for not replying to this earlier - been a little busy.

Anyway...

Simon Robinson wrote:

John, what's your problem?  I'd agree it's rather unfortunate
that Ryan hasn't responded to the gentle suggestions that .people
would be a better place to discuss this.
But to say
pitiful aspirations for female companionship
is - well - words fail me - do you _really_ mean that?

Well, I guess I was a little harsh, but I would say that soliticing advice
about
relationships from a group of strangers [1] on the net is dubious at best.
Seems
to me this is what fleshy friends are for.  At worst I would deem it a
pernicious
troll.

<snip>
And not very wise.  As a parent I would freak if I found out my kid was
asking
strangers on the net for advice about dating.  I guess that is what set me
off the
most.  It was so juvenile.

Just out of interest, why? Is it because you're worried about dodgy people
being on the web or because you don't want people of that age dating (or
some other reason?)

My own feeling would have been that there are so many pretty bad things
that many people of that age can (and often do) get involved with - like
alcohol, drugs, violence, vandalism, etc. that I'd much rather someone
started
thinking of something like dating than any of those things. If you're
worried
about the aspect of not really knowing who you're talking to on the web then
can understand that, although at the same time I wouldn't want to discourage
someone who's 14 from asking advice from adults (as opposed to other
children
who are - in general - less likely to give responsible advice).

Though of course I'm not a parent. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I was
one.

The reason I reacted badly to your posting is because I do feel that
dating/the opposite sex etc. is an area where an awful lot of people have
very little confidence - and it's very easy to hurt people quite badly with
careless
remarks - and describing someone's desires to be close to someone else
as 'pathetic'  seems to me to fairly clearly fall into that category.  I
mean - I'm single and would dearly love not to be.  I'd hope that doesn't make
me 'pathetic' :) Right now, I'm an adult with a lot of experience of life etc.
and would laugh comments like that off. Ten years ago - even 5 years
ago I'd probably have been very upset.

I would love it if other 14 year olds could come on to
LUGNET and participate in  constructive conversation about LEGO and • whatnot, but
if this is an example of what young FOLs will have to offer, I think folks • already
here would tire of it (and them) quickly.  There isn't enough bandwidth to • go
through a JW type fiasco everytime a 14 year old starts posting...

True - and that's a difficult area - the need for lugnet to be open without
allowing a few people who don't follow the guidelines of how to use it
to upset others.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

So Ryan> Good luck. Remember that you never get anywhere if you don't
try asking. And remember as well that most people,
even if they say no or don't want to admit it, are pleased to be asked • out.
But do please shift your posts to lugnet.people unless you want to
start arguing with us (I haven't done so because I am disagreeing with
John so I think that counts as a debate).

-John

[1] I say strangers, meaning strangers to him.  I "know" many of you from • off NG
posts and conversations so *I* wouldn't consider you strangers at all. • Even still
I wouldn't want my daughter asking any of y'all for advice on dating;-)

[2] Although I must say that I've never actually read any of Mike's • poetry, so I
may be premature here.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

Ryan Smith wrote:

a light comedy

A light comedy? You're crazy.

Hey Ryan, you sound like a real prize.  I can tell you have a great • future
ahead of you relating to women.  Now why don't you pack up your little
pubescent Q&A and go back to RTL like a good boy, or at the least • .people.
Your inane blathering about your pitiful aspirations for female • companionship
isn't welcome in *this* NG.

-John

If it was going to be comedy I'd try to see South Park Bigger Longer • & Uncut
but it's not out anymore:(