 People / 43
Re: Somebody help.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 04:19:25 GMT

Ryan Smith <kyblue2@zoomnet.net> wrote:
limerick?
I think that's it

I don't think "limerick" and "romantic" go together very well! If you want
to impress someone, that isn't the way to do it.

Try just writing something several stanzas long about something interesting
from everyday life. Pick a concrete image -- something _real_ that you can
describe. And then try to find what there is in that image that is
interesting on a deeper level. But concentrate on the real, and let the
metaphorical stuff come naturally.

The most important thing is that the language sounds good. Don't worry too
much about rhyme or form -- make sure it _flows_. Let me say the part about
rhyme again: the English language _sucks_ for making rhyming poems. It's a
hundred times more important to have good rhythm. If you can make it rhyme
in a nice scheme without it sounding forced, so much the better, but don't
worry too much about it. (By the way, alliteration, on the other hand, works
very nicely in English. But too much of it can sound cheesy.)

If you want some sort of structure, I'd suggest something like a villanelle
(<URL:http://shoga.wwa.com/~rgs/gl-uv.html#villanelle>). It's a nice form
that's pretty simple to deal with. Again, don't worry too much about form --
but it can be good. It's the same reason I prefer Lego and the Mindstorms
RCX over more flexible custom robotics -- limitations can bring out
creativity.