 People / 73
Re: What is Homecoming? (Re: Somebody help.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:06:42 GMT

In lugnet.people, Jeremy Sproat writes:
Okay, this is going to sound dumb, so I'll let you reply after you've picked
youself up from the ground, still convulsing from crippling bouts of
laughter...

So Homecoming, then, is also a college thing?

Yep. The odd thing I think is that my high school didn't do anything for
homecoming, other than the homecoming game. There was a game every year, and we
actually had a pep rally 1 year... but the profound lack of school spirit made
it virtually useless. Homecoming in college was a much bigger deal! There
wasn't a dance or anything, but there were lots of events going on the whole
of homecoming weekend, like the giant freshman vs. sophomore rope pull, the
pep rallies, bar-b-q, etc.

As for why it's called 'Homecoming' I have no idea. Seems it's always in the
start of the year, though... so maybe it has to do with teams coming back to
school?

DaveE