 Off-Topic / Debate / 5862
Re: legos biggest mistake is...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:56:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Gary Istok writes:
"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

It says more about the US attitude than the European - Americans are a bunch
of squeamish prudes in general.  Why is YOUR attitude "right" and the
European attitude "wrong"?

And if you think kids WON'T see cleavage in the real world, from a very
early age, you're dreaming (or living in Amish country and never leave it,
and turn your heads away from the tourists.  Then again, if you were Amish,
you wouldn't BE here unless you were a teen on one of their sabbaticals
(can't remember the real name)).

I agree completely.  When I was 15 I was visiting Europe with my mother and
sister.  We were at my uncles house, and they had on TV a show called "Paris
in Review" that showed some floorshows (like in Las Vegas) with all the
showgirls topless.  No one made mention that they were topless, and my mother
didn't shelter us kids from this.  It was no big deal to them.  But here in
the USA, this would be considered "pornographic filth".

Just go to Munich's (München) Engischer Garten, the large park along the Isar
River near city center.  There it is "clothing optional" where you will find
nudists and sun worshippers intermixed with regular "clothed" people.  I guess
Europeans are sensitized to nudity, and make no big deal out of it.  Here in
the USA you get hauled into court for "indecent exposure".    When I hear
people say "I don't want my kids exposed to this filth", I have to laugh.
Probably the American prudishness to nudity, is what makes our country the
worlds leader in rapes and sex crimes.

I agree completely, Gary, and was just thinking this the other day!  I've never
understood what is "wrong" with normal instances of nudity, such as bathing and
dressing.  We here in America are behind the times, as most media I've seen out
of other countries doesn't see nudity as all that big of a deal.  There is
nothing wrong, IMO, with the nude form, and I certainly wouldn't "protect" my
kids (if I ever have any) from it.

Jeff