 General / 19156
Re: legos biggest mistake is...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 00:53:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Will Hess writes:
I think Lego's biggest mistake was making minifig darker.  That is, some • of
those Aquazone-villain-thingy-monster-minifigs, and the UFO uglies.  That
alone has kept me from buying those sets as gifts.  I like variations on • mini-
fig heads, but I've got a certain aversion to demons in my toy box.  And I
betcha most parents who shop creative, postive toys for their kids would • avoid
the same sort of stuff.  The reason my mom liked to get us Legos was • because
of the absense of Darkness, and the presence of Build, Imagine, Sky's the
Limit.

In fact, I think that whole season of Time Twister, AquaCrud, UFOs, • Insectoid,
(and even to a lesser degree the Angry Rock Raider Crew,) all do poorly
because they grate against that innocence.  I think in Rock Raiders, the • Rock
Monster is really the good guy.  I don't care what the video game/lego • box/
says.

I would have to agree with you 100%.  I'd even go so far as to add some of
the Ninja, Adventurer, Castle, and Wild West minifigs to your list.  I think
Blacktron and the Black Falcons prove that it's possible to depict "bad
guys" without actually making them look bad.  In the same vein I question
the necessity of the overtly sexy "babe" minifigs.  Call me a prude but I
really don't think kids need to be exposed to that sort of thing while at
play.

Lego Beach Department of Emergency Services
www.crosswinds.net/~hokie

These female figs that are overly, say, developed
are digusting.  I think we can all see that a fig
with red lipstick and long hair(although not so now)
is a woman.  The new Castle sets looked promising,
a female knight and all, but the shape of her armor?
C'mon!  And worst yet is the busty woman in the Stevey
Speilberg set, in a sports bra with a coat at her
bellybutton?  Family toys my butt!!!
-John Rudy