 Off-Topic / Debate / 5892
Re: legos biggest mistake is...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:01:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Sandlin writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:

I don't buy the
sets with what I consider "dark" minifigs, i.e. UFO, Insectoid, whatever • the
aquazone baddies were called, etc.

I thought those were just aliens (except for the Aquaraiders, those are
"baddies" I suppose) If it's non-human, it's evil?

    I don't have a problem with aliens per se.  In fact, someone else just
pointed out that most of the insectoids weren't as dark as I thought.  So I
stand corrected there.  The only aquaraiders sets I saw had some really yuck
faces to them, and I would've bought them for a kid I know, (the set being on
sale) but after seeing the figs, got some Townie stuff instead.  Is that an
extremely subjective emotional reason?  Sure it is.  But after a month or two,
the set is still there on sale.
    I have gotten some UFO stuff for the fiber optics and swapped minifigs
with my brother, (who I call Future Boy) for pirates, just keeping one of the
UFO guys.  Maybe I'll eventually grow into uglies...

I believe it was a big mistake that
alienated (no pun intended) a good customer base of parents and • educators who
wanted fun loving toys for their kids, as opposed to the • Power-Ranger-Mutant-
Whatever's-Passing trends.

Got any statistics on that? Most kids I've ever known love to play with
"monster" toys.

These all made their appearance in my "dark ages"
and I recall commenting how Legos aren't the same as they used to be. • Time
Twisters was such a turn-off compared to the great space themes and • forest
men.
  But I believe in what I think the core principle of Lego toys are.

Really? Then why not just toss out the "angry" heads you don't like and
stick some good ol' smileys on them? That's the beauty of Lego. You can
make it what you want.

~Mark

   What? And have beheaded minifigs running around my apartment?  "We're just
trying to get a-head in life."  No I'll stick with swapping.  Those X-Men fans
get off on mutants.  I'm fairly selective in which sets I buy, since I'm
clearly not as devoted to Lego as many Lugnuts.

Markus
A sensitive soul who draws pupils in the Little Orphan Annie comics out of
compassion (and because they give me the Willies)