 Off-Topic / Debate / 5887
Re: legos biggest mistake is...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:42:05 GMT

Order rearranged somewhat:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

What evidence can you offer that sexual deviancy in the USA is a
direct cause of the policies of sexual repression by the prudish among us?

A very good question.  It is good to see that those participating in arguments
require the arguments of their opponents to be supported.  It may very well be
that the sexual repression common to the popular culture of the US has nothing
to do with level of sex-related crimes.  Maybe.

OTOH, it also certainly seems possible that little boys who are swatted for
expressing interest in bodies of females will learn that bodies, nudity, and
maybe sexuality in general, as a taboo subject, is much more alluring that it
might otherwise have been.  But probably not in a healthy way.  I acknowledge
that I'm simply speculating, not asserting and I certainly have no research to
back this attitude up.

And America is a prudish country how?

Well, I know that many parents have difficulty explaining human sexuality to
their children.  I know that nudity is frowned on and that 'decent' folks go to
significant effort to hide their pink bits.  And sexuality as a school topic is
commonly a hot button for parents.  Etc.

Granted, one only hears suggestive nuances on network TV,

Actually, that's not true.  I don't watch broadcast TV.  At all.  But about
eight months ago, I was warming up our home theater and as I switched the TV's
settings from our DVD player to the VCR to play a tape, there was a snippet of
a bizzarre conversation...so I turned the channel and watched ten minutes of
the Jerry Springer show.  The subject for the day was the consuption of human
waste products in a sexual context.  I was amazed.  It was around two in the
afternoon and any number of kids could have just switched to that show and been
exposed to those unwholesome ideas.  I was flabbergasted.  But that's network
TV.

but how many households have cable?  How many people have
access to pornography?

Can you define pornography?

Virtually all of the people that I have known who have
had a problem with pornography initially found it via their fathers.

What sort of a problem?

The fact
of the matter is that kids have access to all manner of sexual messages • despite
our lamentable "American prudishness."

The problem is that they have access to the wrong kinds of sexual messages as a
result of the American prudishness.  Because sexuality is a taboo, it gets made
the brunt of juvenile humor and and you can see adults acting like thirteen
year old kids on TV.  If we had a mature model of sexuality from early on, we
wouldn't think it was something odd, or secret, or naughty, or bad.  That's my
take, anyway.

Oh, did I forget the internet?

I suspect that you did not.

America is so rampant with sex crimes because we allow our children
to be barraged with sexual messages, and then we give them neither
the instruction nor the support in terms of dealing with their sexuality.

Please cite.  You require that your opponents prove their side of the argument
with studies, so I'm assuming that you're prepared to also.  First, show that
the US is "rampant with sex crimes" and then show that you have the correct
reason.  I think the real key to your statement is that there is no instruction
of support.  It's not bad that kids get exposure to sex.  It's that they get
exposure to juvinile sexual attitudes and no one sets them straight.

The sum total of most kids' sexual
education is the music that they listen to

Please cite.

music which is often filled with hateful sexual messages

Please cite.

If sexual "prudishness" leads to sex
crime, then what are we to say of the entire Muslim world?

That while they provide a very different context, they present their children
with a wholly mature view of sexuality.  But I would suggest that not all of
the Muslim world is a sexually healthy place.

Sex crimes such as rape in Egypt, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan,
Ethiopia, Iran, Indonesia, etc., etc. are extremely infrequent.

How infrequent?  Please cite.

Granted, those societies commit social crimes
against women, but in terms of actual criminal deviant acts, their

How do you define crime?  Against wester laws or against their own?

"prudishness"...has in fact minimized the frequency of such incidents.

Please cite.

Chris