 Off-Topic / Debate / 5851
Re: legos biggest mistake is...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:22:41 GMT

It's also important to note that these are developed in Europe, where • they
tend to be less prudish about such things.

That point has not been lost on me.  Doesn't make it right though.

It says more about the US attitude than the European - Americans are a • bunch of
squeamish prudes in general.  Why is YOUR attitude "right" and the • European
attitude "wrong"?

FWIW My attitude is "right" for me and my family.  I WISH it was "right" for
the rest of the world ('twould make my job as a parent MUCH easier :-) but
that's not gonna happen.  I'd also like to know what makes my attitude
"wrong."  Is it the obvious fact that mine is the minority position?

And if you think kids WON'T see cleavage in the real world, from a very • early
age, you're dreaming

Sure, that's gonna happen and there's no way to control it.  The point of
the thread (which seems to have been ignored in favor of bashing us
"prudes") is whether or not it's appropriate to depict cleavage or
emphasized bustlines on toys (EMPHASIS ON) aimed at children (EMPHASIS OFF)
as young as six years old.  So, to get back on topic, what *IS* appropriate
about placing Pirate Wench or Islander Babe into the hands of a six year
old?  How many AFOL's have no reservations about doing that?

Will