 Off-Topic / Debate / 5863
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:20:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:
This also reminds me of another very pointed scene from Terminator 2 when
Laura watches the little kids running around (were they in New Mexico or
somewhere deserty like that?) "shooting" at each other with toy guns. She says
something like "There's no hope for us, is there?" or something like that. It
doesn't matter that the next couple of scenes involve her turning that guys
house into Swiss cheese with a M-16 ;-)

  I understand your point, but to nitpick, it's Sarah's son who observes that
"there's no hope," and in fact when she's confronted with the horror of her
own violence (a la Swiss cheesing), she breaks down and finds that she can't
murder an innocent.  Interestingly, the only people who die in T2 are slain by
the evil T1000, and Arnold himself only shoots (with bullets) one security
guard, and only in the legs.

   All of this aside, I can't help reflecting that I played with toy guns all
the time as a child, and in fact my dad and I used to enact sizable battles
with his Britains figures and Solido military vehicles. Despite this, I've
never shot anyone nor used a gun in anger.  I'm just not convinced that the
representation of guns in toy form inclines a child to view a real gun as a
toy, at least, not automatically.  This is not to deny anyone the right to
raise her child as she sees fit, but, to me, the "toy-guns-breed-violence"
angle is a little too clean-cut to be realistic.

     Dave!