 Local / Australia / 1507
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:01:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Mark Koesel writes:
I'll tell ya, I will become a parent in roughly three weeks.  I haven't even
considered what I will do about this issue until now.  But the decision is
easy for me.  I will simply tell my son that LEGO IS A TOY AND A REAL GUN IS
NOT.  I will not take Lego minifig guns away from him, nor any Lego part
that
looks like a gun, nor, for that matter, any construction of his that looks
like or functions like a gun.

Unless, I hope, he makes a working LEGO machine gun and begins shooting
other people with it.

<snip>

I will take this approach because this is how my parents approached the
situation, and I believe (based on my own experience) that this was good
parenting.  I don't agree with everything they did, but I definitely do
agree
that they raised one heck of a non-violent child (me).

I'm not a parent, but I completely agree with you.  I had access to G.I.
Joe, Star Wars, and similar "violent" toys all through my childhood.  I
even learned to use real firearms at a tender young age (target shooting
at summer camp). Despite these no doubt terrible influences, I've somehow
not only managed to not kill anyone, but also to stay more or less
completely out of fights.

Remember: the forbidden is automatically more attractive than the allowed,
simply by virtue of it being forbidden.

Personally, I would rather see a child raised who knew how to use a gun
and treat it properly, but who was *also* raised with respect for human
life.  It's the lack of that respect that breeds killers, not the
availability of firearms.

I'll set followups now to lugnet.off-topic.debate, because I think this
post has moved well away from LEGOish topics.