 Local / Australia / 1480
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:20:16 GMT

Hi,
I don't quite see what the problem is with this issue.

Why is it we let our kids play with toy guns, and not with toy knifes?
Simple, it's because a child has a zero chance of getting its hands on a
gun, but numerous knives are availiable around the house. By the time
they're old enough to get a gun, they're adults.

I think that a certain amount of violence or 'rough-housing' is inherent
within children, largely due to the fact that they do not have great
self-control or moral sense of what is 'right' or 'wrong'. Playing with toy
guns is an outlet for this violence.

The primary reaction to guns / weapons in the media, I would think, would
not be to hide the existence of these devices from our children, but to
teach them to have respect for life. Teach them to differentiate between
real-life and fantasy.

Would you parents that eliminate lego guns let your kids play with violent
video games when your children reach teen-hood? I have played with these
games since my early teens, and am by far a superior player in games such as
Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, yet am one of the most non-violent people I
know, because my parents emphasised the difference between real-life and the
fantasy realm.

Considering how many ways we hurt ourselves as kids, (falling off the
trampoline, crashing into cars on our bikes, etc.) playing 'cops and
robbers' with guns is one of the most passive and non-violent forms of
entertainment. Considering that kids will act in a violent manner, isn't it
better that they act out these impulses at a distance, with toy guns, than
close-up, beating each other with sticks?

Just a few thoughts,
David Drew.