 Off-Topic / Debate / 5906
Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:58:09 GMT

One of my friends (age ~14) mocked him [35 year old lunatic (my term, not
Chris')] and he threatened to beat the crap out of him [the 14 year old].

My friend laughed at him and suggested that he might be able to outrun the
tubby old guy.  The "tubby old guy" revealed a revolver strapped to his ankle
and said "You can't beat the bullet."

Yikes!  Is that sort of sociopathy legally actionable in any way?

I'm pretty sure that it would be called assault.  Possibly assault with a
deadly weapon.  I'm sure it was a felony.  My friend was startled for a moment
and then recovered by shout-laughing something like 'you're going to shoot me
because we started a game without you?  Get a grip.'  All the heads in the
large pizza place turned and the "tubby old guy" shut up and pouted.  I'm
pretty sure he never shot my friend, but I haven't seen either one of them
(luckily) in over ten years.

It
doesn't seem to me too far-fetched that a jerk sufficiently insecure and out
of balance to threaten a 14 year old with both fist and firearm might act on
his those same impulses at some other opportunity.

I think he was BSing the snot-nosed smart-alec at first and then just wanted to
scare him after he'd been insulted.  It wasn't the smartest response, but I
don't think there was any real danger.  Actually, my childhood friend turned
out to be fairly unstable...there could have been danger if he'd attacked the
tubby old guy.

However, I found that typically the current generation of live-action
roleplayers are less-than-fully socialized, too.

Gee, you think?

I know, it's hard to believe.

I've thought that it would be fun to run a secret LARP at one of the big
conventions where the players have just been summoned as vampire hunters.  They
would be given credentials that made them mesh with the universe of the Vampire
LARPs.  Points would be accumulated for the number of vampires that they
captured and killed, etc.

But I might not be asked back.  :-(

Chris