 Local / Australia / 1460
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 05:03:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Christopher Masi writes:
<snip on interesting analogy on LEGO and weapons>
I did a quick check, and, apparently, LEGO doesn't think kids under 6 should
play with guns either (Oops, I just noticed that set 5918, which is a 5-12
adventures set, has a rifle in it) because I could only find one set with an
age limit lower than six with a gun in it (obviously, I did not do an
exhaustive search).

Interesting research. I wonder if TLC has an official stand on this issue.

But playing with toy guns is not the real issue, is it? The real issue it
that real guns are not toys. There are many many children that play with toy
guns and don't shoot people on purpose or by accident.

True. However I think there are several issues here. Just remember IANACP [1].

1. A young child will not generally differentiate between a toy gun and a real
gun (I'm talking more about replicas and not minifig style), so if they are
allowed to play with toy guns I would think they would treat a real gun,
perchance they get their hands on one, in a similar way.

2. If we all profess to be responsible adults and teach our kids about being
responsible with guns, whats the point of letting them play with toy guns,
when the whole purpose of them is to simulate real guns (I can't think of any
other purpose for replicas)? Give a kid a toy gun and s/he's not going to lock
it up in her/his toy gun cabinet like adults are meant to do with real ones.
S/he's going to go around and "shoot" things. Sure, you can tell them not to
point it at people, but the dog, cat, budgie and kid down the road with a
dirty face are all fair game.

3. LEGO guns and other weapons should be treated no differently. Just because
LEGO says it's OK for a 6 year old to have a set with guns in it doesn't
absolve our responsibility as the adult who purchases the set for our child to
come to our own decision on its suitability.

An alarming but true story. I was at a kiddies birthday party where one of the
kids (I think he was about 3) was allowed by his parents to play with all
sorts of toy weapons. Managing to get his hands on the knife used to cut the
cake (by the sheer stupidity of the adult who put it down on the table within
his reach) he proceeded to run around and play "pirates" with it. How he
didn't stab himself or another person (the place was packed with kids and he
did lunge at a few) is only by the grace of God.

Pete Callaway