 Off-Topic / Debate / 5858
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:13:13 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
something like "There's no hope for us, is there?" or something like that. It
doesn't matter that the next couple of scenes involve her turning that guys
house into Swiss cheese with a M-16 ;-)

Pretty ironic scene for a presumably violent movie (I've not seen it).

It's actually got a lot of anti-violence messages. (Mixed in with violence,
of course. Gotta sell tickets.) The kid tries to teach the terminator not to
kill people.

It's interesting that this topic started with the discussion of TLC's
depiction of women in mini-figs. One interesting poll item: how many of you
feel it is ok to expose children to one, but not both of, weapons and the
female form? In some ways, I'd expect the majority of folks to side the same

I'm not opposed to exposing kids to the existence of guns -- in fact, I'd
agree that education is important. However, I want to make it clear that
it's not something that is supported in our family, and that we don't buy
things which send clear messages of violence. (There's room for some
fantasy, of course.)

[I don't have time to follow .off-topic.debate, so I won't be responding to
any followups to this. Sorry.]

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/