 Off-Topic / Debate / 5911
Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 18:29:03 GMT

Right, but there is something about the GUN icon that freaks people out. • I
have tried to show people statistics demonstrating how few people (kids in
particular) die from guns and they just refuse to come to the obvious and
logical conclusions.  (e.g. More kids die every year in the US from • ingestion
of household chemicals like turpentine, bleach, soap, etc. than from • firearms.
But no one is frantically lobbying to remove bleach from the public.)

Actually, they are trying frantically to get people to lock up dangerous
chemicals and keep them away from kids, so I can't agree with this line of
logic.

What I assert is that "no one is lobbying to remove bleach from the public."
And to the best of my knowledge, this is true.  Trying to get people to lock
their bleach away from kids is different -- in several senses -- than trying • to
remove their ability to buy, own, possess, or use the bleach.  You don't see
any of those ludicrous measures being advocated.

The purpose of bleach is not to kill people, and the purpose of handguns is, so
it's kind of a misleading comparison that you are making when you talk about
banning.  My point was simply that people *do* consider household chemicals a
danger and they are trying to do something about it: education, awareness,
safety precautions.  Which are the exact same things that are being discussed
about guns.  Simple banning isn't the only option.

Thinking about it more, this line of logic is: hey, people are stupid about
dangerous chemicals, so why should they complain about doing something stupid
with guns?  Two stupidities make a right?

That's not it at all.  It's more like: having bleach around the house is more
dangerous than having guns around, so if you're so worked up about guns, why
aren't you just a bit more so about bleach?

That's a false analogy since many more houses have bleach than guns.  It might
still turn out to be true on a percentile basis, but people should be wary of
statistics that only tell half the story.

People are worked up about bleach, as I noted previously.  And it still seems
to me that what is being said is: hey, people are stupid about
dangerous chemicals, so why should they complain about doing something stupid
with guns?  Two stupidities make a right?

And I still hold that the answer to this question is that the icon of the gun
has occupied a strange place in the collective mind of our society.  Some of • us
worship the right to own a gun and some of us vilify guns.  There is very
little middle ground.

It is extremely polarized, without a doubt.  Just to note: I'm not saying guns
should be banned, I just think we (in the U.S.) go about gun ownership as
foolishly as possible.

But, people lobbying/arguing/whining against guns invariably say that it's • for
the children.  But the children just aren't at risk.  There are tremendously
more likely fatal hazards out there.

Children just aren't at risk?  Do you mean at as MUCH risk?  If yes, the
operative phrase is that they are still at risk.  If no, what can I say • beyond
I disagree (but I presume you meant the former).

You have, of course, surmised my intent correctly.  They are not at much risk.

Uh, no.  I said: at *as* much risk.  Not: at much risk.  But I understand what
you are saying.  What can I say?  I disagree.  I simply do not accept bleach
being even more dangerous as a logical proof for saying guns aren't dangerous
to kids.

So the tubby old guy was going to shoot him in the back because he was • mocked?
(Scratching head in perplexion) And you are arguing against gun control?

No!  He wasn't going to shoot my friend.  He was trying to scare my friend.

I understood that - I was just following it out to its absurd conclusion for
cheap effect.  :-)

And it was juvenile, and mildly dangerous, but not wildly irresponsible.

Hmmmm, I'm not so sure that that doesn't cross the border into wildly
irresponsible, but I wasn't there and don't know the people in question.

Bruce