 Local / Australia / 1490
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:56:08 GMT

Whew - what a debate.  Not being a parent, I would say as always it is up to
the parents concerned to decide, as they know they're children better than
anyone (I hope) and are fitting it into a more comprehensive vision of
parenting.  However, my two cents...  Although guns didn't really come into my
Lego collection until I was about 12, with the advent of PIRATES (yay!), I had
castle sets for as long as I can remember, complete with weapons.  Being in a
house full of girls, these were about the only to weapons we had in the
house.  My sister has not followed the Lego thing further.  I have, and now
have an impressive artillery as part of my Wild West collection.  I am also
known to enjoy first person shooter computer games etc. etc.  But I don't see
that any of this has ever hurt me.  In fact my earliest recollection is that
my knights were too busy in their authentic medieval madrigal choir to ever
actually kill anything.  After all, it wasn't until later there was a limited
release castle damsel for them to rescue, and we had to wait years more for a
decent dragon!  And here years on I am still on the Lego with my favourite
kind being harmless ol' town.  I am guessing this scenario would ring a lot of
bells for many AFOLs.  Teaching your children the danger of weapons is a
responsible and commendable action.  Removing all toy weapons, especially such
small ones, probably won't do too much damage, but if it bothers you, don't do
it.  Good luck.  (And I don't think the blowing stuff up etc. is just a boy
thing - it's a children-in-general thing.  They like to explore.  I'm not sure
if that's good or not.)