 Off-Topic / Debate / 5902
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:07:51 GMT

Right, but there is something about the GUN icon that freaks people out.  I
have tried to show people statistics demonstrating how few people (kids in
particular) die from guns and they just refuse to come to the obvious and
logical conclusions.  (e.g. More kids die every year in the US from ingestion
of household chemicals like turpentine, bleach, soap, etc. than from firearms.
But no one is frantically lobbying to remove bleach from the public.)

  I think part of the reason that no such lobby exists is because the
frequency of bleach-related violence is very low, and almost no one robs a
convenience store with a bottle of soap.
  Of course you're correct, though; the incidence of accidental ingestion of
poisonous chemicals is much higher than it would be if responsible adults kept
better watch over their kids and/or their cleaning products.  I'd be
interested to see some numbers regarding fatal ingestion of such chemicals,
for my own curiosity.  Rather than have you spell them out here, do you know
of a handy website for such statistics?

I've seen war gamers get angry while playing too, but they were inadequately
socialized and just had some issues.

  Heh! I worked in a hobby store for quite a while, and your description is
fabulously accurate of many tabletop gamers I encountered!  However, I found
that typically the current generation of live-action roleplayers are less-than-
fully socialized, too.  That's not to say that LARPers are categorically
stunted, but simply that the ones I've encountered have often lacked good
skills of interpersonal communication outside of their LARPing venue.

     Dave!