 Off-Topic / Debate / 5871
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:46:28 GMT

Peter Callaway wrote:
Neither am I, but it has to be in a controlled and mature way. From the sounds
of it some people would rather rewrite their kiddies wall mounted picture-
alphabet to include things like "G is for Grenade" or "M is for M16"

I don't know of anyone here in Lugnet which I feel I know them well
enough to understand their stance on guns, who would feel that way.

Don't get me wrong, I had just as much fun as everyone else at our recent
BrikWars event (I had the nasty mechanised force complete with remote-
controlled roving bombs). I just would not have liked it if my 3-year old
nephew was watching the action, as IMO he is still too young to understand the
difference between playtime and realtime.

One curiousity which came to mind. How many of you are comfortable with
child play which involves crashing cars or toppling buildings. This sort
of play is no less violent than playing cops and robbers or cowboys and
indians. And there certainly is plenty of this violence in real life.
I'm not up on my statistics, how do drunken driving deaths compare to
shootings in the US? How many people (especially teens and young adults)
drive irresponsibly fast even if not drunk? Look at all the bombings
every year.

I have to say that I'm a heck of a lot more bothered by violent media
(movies, TV, and video games) than by a kid running around with a toy
gun. Kids playing cops and robbers or cowboys and indians I think are
learning social skills and cooperation. It's also a lot easier to see
that a child is having trouble expressing and controlling their anger
when they are playing cops and robbers, than when they are blasting
everything that moves in a video game.

I'm not sure how old I was when I got my first war game (Tactics II by
Avalon Hill). I was probably about 10, but maybe younger. It wasn't very
long before I started designing my own games. I remember making an
alternate map very soon after I got the game. I was younger than 13 when
I designed a game representing the first battles of the revolution in
Massachusetts. All of this fascination with war has certainly not turned
me into a violent person today (heck, I have trouble getting seriously
angry at people, I can't tell you how many angry posts to Lugnet have
been filed in the bit bucket moments after writing and before hitting
the post button). What I learned from playing war games was to think
about how immediate actions would affect the future.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com