 Local / Australia / 1463
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 05:27:19 GMT

All right, I'm not a parent, but I'm going to add my $0.02 to the
discussion...  All righty, I'll say right now that my parents didn't do
this whole shielding me from the world thing, but I don't think it was
until I was 5 that I got any toy that had a weapon or such in it (maybe
I had some Star Wars stuff before then), but I remember I still had
"normal" LEGOs (BTW, I turn 21 in September), and I made more or less
"violent" stuff with them.  My father is a hunter and does keep guns,
but they've always been locked up (and I do know where the keys are, but
I was only told a couple of years ago).  Maybe it's just the kind of
household I was raised in, but I don't think guns (or representations
thereof) are any sort of a problem in development.  The problem with
guns is many people are not responceable with them, they keep them
unlocked and most improtantly loaded.  Anyway, I think the toys should
be dictated by the child's devolpment level, and the LEGO sets with
weapons are really a little to advanced for a 4 year old.  Wait, am I
agreeing to disagreeing?  Oh, well.
jmbrown@mines.edu
http://farlander.home.dhs.org/