 Local / Australia / 1564
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:39:41 GMT

Anne Jorunn Midtkil wrote:

In lugnet.loc.au, Brian H. Nielsen writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
So what do other parents do with Lego guns or is it not an issue?

  My 8 year old son, who's been playing with LEGO toys since he was 4, knows
that guns are not toys and he rarely plays with them, so it's not an issue.
We also enforce safety rules about any plaything that launches projectiles not
being toward a person.  This includes everything from the cyber slam cannons
to paper airplanes.

  The most actual "violent" play with LEGO sets has been with the cyber slam
stuff, and that's because it's designed for competitive play.

Without having any children on my own (who could make a mess of mine and my
husbands Lego-collection), I find that my friends children, and particularly
the boys, do have a grate tendency to play "figting-games" - with about
anything they may find. Our minister sent of the kids to draw during a
Sunday-service, and asked them to do something about Jesus as the good
shepherd, and his son came up after the sermon with a machine gun drown on
paper and cut to size...

But it is very clear in these boys that they are playing much more violent
with eg. the Slizers than they do with the Pirates and castles. Of course they
let minifigurs fight, but more against the dragons than each other. I think
there are to many other things you may imagine with a well-equiped castle,
while the Slizers are meant to fight each other - and they are very hard to
create alternative settings for. I find it much harder to let a little boy's
head be filled with those thoughts.

aj-ml
- de-lurking with this posting
--
Anne Jorunn Midtkil
Trondheim - Norway

Hello Anne!   It's always nice to see people de-lurk!

So you are from Trondheim.  That is the location of Nidaros Cathedral, probably the
most beautiful and historic Gothic cathedral in Norway, if not all of Scandinavia.

Welcome to LUGNET!

Gary Istok