 Off-Topic / Debate / 5860
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:21:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Miller writes:
Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
something like "There's no hope for us, is there?" or something like that.
It doesn't matter that the next couple of scenes involve her turning that
guys house into Swiss cheese with a M-16 ;-)

Pretty ironic scene for a presumably violent movie (I've not seen it).

It's actually got a lot of anti-violence messages. (Mixed in with violence,
of course. Gotta sell tickets.) The kid tries to teach the terminator not to
kill people.

He succeeded too. If only it were that simple...

It's interesting that this topic started with the discussion of TLC's
depiction of women in mini-figs. One interesting poll item: how many of you
feel it is ok to expose children to one, but not both of, weapons and the
female form? In some ways, I'd expect the majority of folks to side the same

I'm not opposed to exposing kids to the existence of guns -- in fact, I'd
agree that education is important. However, I want to make it clear that
it's not something that is supported in our family, and that we don't buy
things which send clear messages of violence. (There's room for some
fantasy, of course.)

Neither am I, but it has to be in a controlled and mature way. From the sounds
of it some people would rather rewrite their kiddies wall mounted picture-
alphabet to include things like "G is for Grenade" or "M is for M16"

Don't get me wrong, I had just as much fun as everyone else at our recent
BrikWars event (I had the nasty mechanised force complete with remote-
controlled roving bombs). I just would not have liked it if my 3-year old
nephew was watching the action, as IMO he is still too young to understand the
difference between playtime and realtime.

Maybe one day I'll sit down and play BrikWars with him when I can supervise
his reaction to it (and explain concepts and stuff), but until then I'm happy
to keep him away from it. It's not sweeping it under the carpet, I just think
there are other more positive things to teach him before I shove a gun in his
hand, toy or real, and teach him about "the realities of life".

Pete Callaway