 Off-Topic / Debate / 5859
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:06:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Frank Filz writes:

It's interesting that this topic started with the discussion of TLC's
depiction of women in mini-figs.

From my perspective it arose from discussions in loc.au of the new
"coming soon" leaflet which has a blurb about the Action Wheelers and how
these were for boys.  This led to varied items of discussion including
the behaviour of small boys, which led me to ask how other parents handled
the Lego gun issue which obviously is not merely a local Australian
conversation point, hence the cross-posting to lugnet.general.

One interesting poll item: how many of you
feel it is ok to expose children to one, but not both of, weapons and the
female form? In some ways, I'd expect the majority of folks to side the same
way on both issues (and yes, I am in favor of depicting the female form on
mini-figs, though perhaps the Islander female is a bit distastefull).

I haven't read the female form mini-fig thread and haven't seen any of
the minifigs in question.  But as the mother of a 4 year old, I have no
problem with tasteful depictions of the female form in Lego.  Whether
what you're referring to fits the description of tasteful is an exercise
left to the reader.

Follow-ups to: lugnet.off-topic.debate
Don't read here and won't be, but agreed.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com