 Local / Australia / 1483
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:49:40 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, David Drew writes:

The primary reaction to guns / weapons in the media, I would think, would
not be to hide the existence of these devices from our children, but to
teach them to have respect for life. Teach them to differentiate between
real-life and fantasy.

I absolutely agree but as the parent of a younger child that does not
yet distinguish reliably between fantasy and reality this is very very
hard.  Someone else essentially said this somewhere else in this
tangled thread (Pete C I think) and IMHO he's right.  Until a child can
100% tell the difference, I don't think guns or other violent weapons are
suitable play things.  IANACPE (I am not a child psychologist either) but
I'm under the impression that reality and imagination are quite entangled
until a fair bit older than 4.  As I said when I started this thread
I have not yet decided whether or not the Lego guns will be returned when
my son is older, I'm glad of the feedback from both perspectives.

Would you parents that eliminate lego guns let your kids play with violent
video games when your children reach teen-hood? I have played with these
games since my early teens, and am by far a superior player in games such as
Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, yet am one of the most non-violent people I
know, because my parents emphasised the difference between real-life and the
fantasy realm.

Until I have a teenager I don't know how I'll address the issue of violent
video games.  Right now my impulse is to say I'd be disappointed if my
son wanted to play violent games/watch violent videos or whatever BUT (big
but) my little boy is 4 - and that's such a long way off.  If you'd
asked me when he was a baby what I thought of 4 year olds and guns I would
have said "huh?", it's simply not something that is yet relevant to our
realm of existence (I hope you can see what I mean, I'm not explaining
this very well...)

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com