 Off-Topic / Debate / 5904
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:11:41 GMT

Right, but there is something about the GUN icon that freaks people out.  I
have tried to show people statistics demonstrating how few people (kids in
particular) die from guns and they just refuse to come to the obvious and
logical conclusions.  (e.g. More kids die every year in the US from ingestion
of household chemicals like turpentine, bleach, soap, etc. than from firearms.
But no one is frantically lobbying to remove bleach from the public.)

I don't have thos statistics on hand either, but I bet that car deaths far
exceed gun deaths in the US.

Here are a few stats that you might find interesting:

Did you know--

* Every 13 seconds one of America's 70 million gun owners uses a firearm in
defense against a criminal?

* American women use handguns 416 times a day in defense against rapists,
which is a dozen times more often than rapists use a gun?

* A gun kept in the home for protection is 216 times as likely to be used in
defense against a criminal than it is to cause the death of an innocent victim
in that household?

(source: http://pulpless.com/gunclock/)

jt