 Local / Australia / 1442
Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:27:21 GMT

Deidre Rushton Brumby <drb@tasmail.com> wrote in message
Following on from the topic of "small action boys" and Lego stereotyping • in
loc.au, what do other parents do with the guns in their Lego sets?

Until recently I'd only ever bought one set with guns (Pirate skeleton • cave)
and I threw them straight in the rubbish bin. (Yes, I know several people
are aghast at this blatant disregard for the holy ABS).

Nowadays I still remove the guns before my small action boy even gets to
see the sets, but I have kept them.  I'm undecided on whether or not to
reintroduce them once he's (much) older.

I did however overlook a space zapper thingo in an Insectoids set and got
quite a lecture from my 4 year old about this "But Mum, that's a gun, get
rid of it!".

As you can tell from this he's been brought up in a "we don't play with • toy
guns because guns are real things that kill people" environment, both at
home and at childcare and Kindergarten (it became an issue outside the • home
first and we followed on with it).  This does not however
stop the fascination with imaginary guns and "blowing things up" which
I'm not aware of him being exposed to and so must be an innate 4 year old
small action boy thing.

So what do other parents do with Lego guns or is it not an issue?

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com

I have a 10 year old daughter.  She still has her rifles and pistols from
her Adventurer sets and her swords and crossbows from her castle sets.  They
are all in a box with the other pieces she isn't currently using .  She
mainly ignores them.  She did give one rifle to a redcoated soldier she used
to mark a Revolutionary War Battlesite on a NC map she made of Lego for a
4th grade project.
I have traded the guns and swords from my sets for other Lego pieces with
Lugnet members.   She knows how I feel.
I don't find weapons in sets a problem,  They are just another opening for a
dialogue with my child about  this subject.
No I didn't march in the Million Mom  thing, but that is where my sympathies
lie.  Email to get the address to send my target shirt so I can be properly
prepared to be one of the first to go when the nasties completely take
over... ;-)  hmm! maybe I should get a P.O. Box address...

sheree