 Local / Australia / 1461
Re: Dangerous weapons (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 05:22:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, David Low writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:

Egads!!! I hope it was an accident!!

Since I'm right handed and have been building models of all sorts since I was
about 6, my left hand bears, at last count, 14 scars of various sizes from
self-inflicted wounds. This includes my pride and joy, an inch and a half • scar
on my index finger where I accidentally tried to remove it when I was 11.

My hand-eye coordination is infinitely better now (thank goodness), but I too
can attest to how nasty these things can be. My hobby tools are always locked
away when not in use.

Pete, what's the .au equivalent of an X-acto? I'm looking for a good all-
purpose craft knife that will do the job for paint scraping and ABS hacking.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

I just call them hobby knives, and I really had to think hard for a brand. I
use AXX knives which are quite sturdy (Atlas and Dawn are other brands). I
have about 8 different bodies and 20 or so different types of blades for
different applications (including one which looks as if it would be quite at
home performing exploratory surgery on an elephant - haven't actually used
that one yet), but the most versatile blades are the sharp points (comes with
the knife and is great for detailed cutting) and the scalpels (rounded nose,
good for scraping).

They're really quite cheap. Hobby stores should have the knife plus single
blade for about $4. packs of 5 blades range from about $2 to $10 depending on
the type of blade. Just make sure you clean them and re-oil them if you're not
going to use them for a while as they will rust. They last a fair while but I
wouldn't bother about re-sharpenning them when they go blunt, just buy another
pack.

Pete Callaway