 Local / Australia / 1481
Re: Is your Lego insured?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:22:49 GMT

My Lego is included in the household contents insurance total, not
as a separate collection though.  I believe that generally to get
"valuable collection" insurance you have to have a collection that
the insurer believes is intrinsically valuable, such as coins, jewellery
or stamps.  Lego, apparently, doesn't count :)

One of the issues with collections is also that collections can be worth
more than the sum of their parts. So, having just a lot of Lego sets
probably doesn't constitute a collection, because the collection is no more
valuable than adding up the value of the individual sets. However, if you
have a (near) complete collection of some sort (all 1980s sets, or all
castle sets) that would add to its value (beyond the value of the individual
sets), then you might want to insist on your insurer acknowledging that.
However, the onus would probably be on you to demonstrate that the
collection did have this additional value, for example, by having data on
sales of similar collections or the opinion of a "professional valuer"
(should such a thing exist for Lego).

However, registering a collection may require the payment of an additional
premium, so you have to weigh up the cost/benefit.

Kerry