 Off-Topic / Debate / 3720
Re: My Toys R Us Nightmare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:26:36 GMT

I am tired of hearing about that coffee incident being a frivolous lawsuit.
The lady got $300,000 which was later reduced to $100,000 in appeals.  That
was never reported.

Neither was it reported that the coffee wasn't just hot enough to burn - it
was so hot that they had to do a skin graft.  How hot are they allowed to
sell coffee?  120 degrees?  No problem.  Is 190 degrees legal?  If spilled
on a baby, it could kill.  Would that not be considered negligence?  Just
because somebody thought coffee was too hot doesn't mean that it is just a
person being picky.

There are a lot of things that, if spilled, could kill a baby. That doesn't
make them morally wrong. They gave me a knife at the steakhouse and I managed
not to chop off my foot. Does that mean the steakhouse got lucky?

My recollection is that the coffee was determined to be 150 degrees - which
is 30 degrees higher than allowed by law for a hot water heater to be set at
for any residence or hotel, for safety reasons.

I doubt that they use tap water to make coffee. More than likely, they use a
coffee maker or percolator, which i'm sure uses much higher temperatures to
achieve perfect coffetude.

Mike Poindexter

I don't drink coffee and Coca-Cola never killed anybody.

I do and it's gooooood.
-Adam.