 Marketplace / Shopping / 2160
Re: My Toys R Us Nightmare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 23:39:12 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote in message ...
In lugnet.market.shopping, Mike Poindexter writes:
I am tired of hearing about that coffee incident being a frivolous • lawsuit.
The lady got $300,000 which was later reduced to $100,000 in appeals. • That
was never reported.

That's interesting; I hadn't heard that previously.

Neither was it reported that the coffee wasn't just hot enough to burn - • it
was so hot that they had to do a skin graft.  How hot are they allowed to
sell coffee?  120 degrees?  No problem.  Is 190 degrees legal?  If spilled
on a baby, it could kill.  Would that not be considered negligence?  Just
because somebody thought coffee was too hot doesn't mean that it is just a
person being picky.

What people generally regard as frivolous, I think, is the fact that she
held the coffee between her legs--do I recall correctly?  To many people's
view this seems to be simply asking for trouble, since while McD's didn't • warn
that the coffee was scaldingly hot, they also didn't make any claims about • the
leg-proofness of their cup/lid combinations.

My recollection is that the coffee was determined to be 150 degrees - • which
is 30 degrees higher than allowed by law for a hot water heater to be set • at
for any residence or hotel, for safety reasons.

Having previously worked in food service for a disappointing length of • time,
I can report that many Health departments require certain food products to • be
held between 140 and 160 degrees for purposes of sanitation.  Perhaps • coffee
is required to be held at a similar temperature?  I'll have to check.

I also recall that one of the big issues which always gets left out is that
McDonalds had received numerous complaints about the temperature of their
coffee which was higher than the other fast food places. If that is true,
then the court system is EXACTLY how this issue should be resolved. That is
the purpose of the court system.

followups to lugnet.off-topic.debate

Frank