 Marketplace / Shopping / 2153
Re: My Toys R Us Nightmare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:50:57 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Eric Kingsley writes:

How are they supposed to check?  How would they know who purchsed the set?
For all they know, you could've given the set to that person.  They aren't
psychic, you know.

This is a very good point.  Many stores don't even require a reciept any more.
One somewhat funny story I have is of a warehouse worker at a company that I
used to work for got caught stealing some relatively expensive consumer
product.  The way he got caught was the Target store in the area called the
warehouse to see if something was going on because this one guy had been
returning about 10 of that product about every other day for a few weeks.

hehe. I was in a Target the other day, I inadvertantly left my wallet in the
car. I had a bunch of Droid Developers and one RIS in my cart, took it over to
Cust Svc and asked one behind the counter person to keep an eye on it (it was
unpaid but I didn't want someone raiding the cart) while I went back to the
car.

Got back to the store, and security was swarming.. They were on the phone
calling the warehouse, etc. and looking closely at the cart. I came up to it,
said these are mine.

Security person instantly started casing me, asked for my receipt. I said
"Stand down, I'm not trying to RETURN them, I need to pay for them". She said
they had already scanned them as not having been bought and were prepared to
investigate me closely if I tried to return them.

So Target security isn't COMPLETELY clueless.

PS, I hear Dayton Hudson may be changing their corporate name to Target!

++Lar