 Off-Topic / Debate / 3719
Re: My Toys R Us Nightmare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:19:13 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Timbo wrote:

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.market.shopping, Tim Coats writes:
A couple of months ago I bought some Lego from Toys R Us.  Later that
afternoon some sleazebag broke the window of my car and stole it.  (They
broke a $165.00 window to get $15.00 worth of Lego, the asshole)
Anyway, what is even worse is, since it was in its original bag with
reciept they took it back to Toys R Us and returned it for cash.  We
found this out and got as much info. from Toys R Us about the offending
person.  Of course the info. they gave Toys R Us for the refund was
fraudulent.  They didn't even check ID.

Anyway, what really pissed me off was that Toys R Us basically fenced
stolen property, which is illegal and would not even refund my money or
give me store credit.  I have sent two letters to their regional office
and got jacked around by those sleazebags.  I have since filed
somplaints with the BBB and chamber of commerce in my local area.  I am
encouraging everyone who reads this to boycott Toys R Us completely, or
at least buy $15.00 less each year.  I want them to pay for fencing my
Lego a 1000 times over.

What really makes me mad is that when they could not get orders from
their web site to people in time for Christmas they sent them $100.00
gift certificates.  I am deeply offended and hurt that they would give
someone $100.00 in credit for a delayed order, but that they won't
refund my $15.00 when the are actually guilty of a crime.  I am
completely exasperated by this and, like I said, am recommended everyone
boycott the zleazebags (unless of course they have an irresistable
clearence sale on Lego ;)  ).

Timbo

I'm not sure that you are blowing this entirely out of proportion, but file a
police report and demand the return of the stolen item.  That's about as far as
you can go with it.

Bruce
I have already done that.  But buying stolen goods is not legal and
reselling them is even worse.  It doesn't matter if they "know" or not.
The reason they should check ID is so that they verify the person who
they are giving the refund to is who they say they are so the police
can  track down the piece of crap.  If you let them put a false name on
a refund slip that doesn't give much of a lead.

Most stores are pretty flexible on returns because many people want to
be able to return gifts. How do you propose that be allowed?

The illegality of buying stolen goods is an interesting one. If it is
clear that the goods are stolen, I can see a case, but that is the only
time. Did your receipt have your name on it at all? If not, how are they
to know the item was stolen. If so, presumably the purchase was a credit
card purchase, in which case they shouldn't be giving a cash refund, and
you should go through your credit card company.

I had bought the ONLY items left of that type and knew the time I had
bought them.  No one else could have possibly claimed to buy the same
item at the same time because there weren't any more.  That should be in
the police report because I told them, but I just haven't posted all the
details here.

If you buy stolen goods they, by law, belong to the original owner and
the person buying them is out the money if the theif is never caught and
forced to pay them back.  If this was not the case there would be far
more criminals stealing stuff than there are.

Anyway, I still can't understand why they just didn't refund my money as
a customer service thing, just to be nice.  It would have been a lot
better for them in the long run than pissing me off and letting everyone
know my story, which will cost them business in some form or other.

Anyway, they have VERY bad customer service, and what is worse is that
when you write a letter to one of their regional managers trying to
nicely explain things they still don't listen.

Timbo