 Marketplace / Shopping / 2193
Re: My Toys R Us Nightmare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:05:30 GMT

Paul Davidson wrote:

I am tired of hearing about that coffee incident being a frivolous • lawsuit.
The lady got $300,000 which was later reduced to $100,000 in appeals. • That
was never reported.

Neither was it reported that the coffee wasn't just hot enough to burn - • it
was so hot that they had to do a skin graft.  How hot are they allowed to
sell coffee?  120 degrees?  No problem.  Is 190 degrees legal?  If spilled
on a baby, it could kill.  Would that not be considered negligence?  Just
because somebody thought coffee was too hot doesn't mean that it is just a
person being picky.

My recollection is that the coffee was determined to be 150 degrees - • which
is 30 degrees higher than allowed by law for a hot water heater to be set • at
for any residence or hotel, for safety reasons.

Only 150 degrees?  That shouldn't be a serious burn -- anyone who frequents
coffee shops (as I do) knows that the "normal" temperature for a latte is
160 degrees.  I myself order them at 150 because I find that my mouth is
more sensitive to hot drinks than some people.  I can't see how that can be
criminal negligence, although I certainly agree that *too* hot is a bad
thing.

Perhaps he meant *centigrade*.  ;)  (this would be a trick--those newfangled
coffee machines that produce coffee under 12 atm pressure...)

best

Lindsay