 Off-Topic / Debate / 26931
Re: A few things...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 02:37:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   Does anyone still support this daft war?

No, there really doesn’t seem to be much support in any quarter. And the remaining pro war camp is much quieter and harder to draw (apart from the determined political apologist rearguard, and the shrill cries of the mindless faithful), because the battle of public opinion is a lost cause.

What shocks me is that those who lead us to war have felt no sanction. Bush and Howard are returned on stronger majorities and Blair was returned. Presumably the fact is that while very few people think they can seriously defend the war on principle, majorities in these three wealthy western democracies support the invasion for reasons that do not want to see the light of day. The fact is that if going to war was about oil, or political expediency, or just kicking the stuffing out of the uppity autocrat, the majority of Americans, Britains and Australians are just cool with that - either positively supportive, or recklessly indifferent to how many Iraqi lives are lost. Welcome to who we are.

Times have changed. In Nixon’s day, bugging a political competitor was enough to see the end of a presidency. Today, the British secret service can bug political competitors and no-one cares.

Most Australian’s believe that Howard and some of his senior staff lied to inflame a refugee incident to raise support for their policy in face of a situation that simply did not exist, but we still re-elected him.

Howard promised no more troops to Iraq and a phased withdrawal, and then after the election we’re sending more troops and there is no withdrawal plan. Howard made a big deal out of a medical costs safety net before the election (where once you had spent so much on medical costs in a year, you had to pay a great deal less for whatever else you needed), and now the thresholds have been raised on the back of admissions that they knew before the election that the threshold settings were probably untenable. I daresay we’d elect him again tomorrow.

This stuff isn’t the argy bargy of each political party heaping abuse and claims of incompetence on the other. And it isn’t even simply well meaning incompetence. These look like policies and complex campaigns built on lies, disrespect for the people they purport to represent, and an absence of any principle beyond the attaining and maintaining of power.

It is alarming that most of us are ok with that. I had higher expectations of Australians. Probably even higher expectations of Americans. Having studied Irish history, I already knew something about British behaviour when her interests are threatened ;-)

Maybe I am just growing up late and working out the world after everyone else.

   I would not have rushed there to start with.

I saw John’s silly time machine retort. I agree that its important to start with this. Not everyone wanted to go into Iraq, and those that were against were right, and we ought to be respecting this and listening harder. And we ought to be drawing this lesson for the next time this comes up (in respect of say, North Korea, or Syria, or Iran, or Libya, or Saudi Arabia)

   Well, given the mess people like YOU got us in, I suppose I’d start by trying to hand over power to Iraqis. I would NOT rig their constitution or setup permanent bases in their country. I would NOT limit the training of the Iraqi armed forces to light weapons. I WOULD show that Iraqi lives ARE worth something by risking lives to protect them (they are human beings after all!). I’d STOP human rights abuses. I would NOT rely on support from (or give support to) barbaric regimes.

Uncommon to hear the Doc shout.

All good stuff, but academic while our majorities don’t care.

   Oh, and I’d also put B.Liar and the man-monkey on trial for breaking international law.

Mmmmm. As a general rule I am all for cutting leaders some extra slack for occasional screw-ups or poor judgement in matters not related to running the country. Its hard enough to find good people for these jobs, and ridiculous to sacrifice them on the altar of some unattainable standard of human behaviour.

That said, I think a trial probably is warranted for all three. Its hard to imagine how there can be secrets pertaining to the intelligence gathering that are still worth keeping secret.

But like the Doc’s guidelines for Iraq, the fact is our majorities don’t want them to fall, so there are so many easy ways out. I don’t think Bush for one has ever felt bound by international law when it conflicted with his ideas of the national interest, and he and his senior staff are quite bald about it. Blair and Howard pay more lip service, but little else I think.

And after all, for most of us, isn’t looking after our national interest, to the exclusion of everyone else’s interest, exactly what we have national leaders for?

Richard
Still baldly going...