 Off-Topic / Debate / 19366
Re: level of debate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:28:43 GMT

The text below was via an e-mail from a friend, it made me wonder just what
the level of debate in the USA is. I ckecked out a couple and they appeared
valid.

To Scott: That's *nuthin'!*  You should see what the *other* side is doing!
The Anti-war crowd for the most part are radical fruitcakes.  I mean, >feminists

"The anti-war crowd *for the most part* are radical fruitcakes"??

Okay.

Those 100,000+ people marcning in Toronto that I was with--were most of them
radical fruitcakes?  Were half of them radicak fruitcakes?  Were 10 percent
of them radical fruitcakes??

I like witnessing things so I can take in the experience and make a good
judgement call for myself, so I did scope out moreso than others... and when
we were all in the center square listening to speeches...

I saw one--*ONE*--sign that was qustionable (but I thought was *very*
funny), "My Bush doesn't want war" on a sign held by, presumably, one of
these radical, pink wearing, fruitcake feminists.

I saw representatives from the United Church of Canada, the Lutheran Church,
Catholic churces, (and the list goes on), the church I attend was
represented, and that's just the churches.  The businesses, the
organizations, the unions--they all had a slew of people out--"radical
fruitcakes all!" according to you.  Okay then.

If it were me speaking, (and it is), I'd say that you, John, are just a
little "over-the-top", painting *pink* on "most" of these anti-war protestors.

I'd further say that you, John, should take off your rose-coloured
Republican glasses and see the real world with your own eyes--Don't let
others make up your mind for you.  Sure Republicans can wax a fine story
with the best of them, but use your God given discernment and come up with
your own ideas and ideals.

Writing off the peace movement and blanketing most of them as radical
fruitcakes... that doesn't sound too truthful now, does it?

I'm just saying...

protesting *naked*???? <shudder> Wearing *pink* to protest?  It's all
entertainment to the Left.

Well, be fair.  Almost all are unattributed or from comedians.

Exactly.

And
Limbaugh is hardly an icon of thoughtful debate.

Easy there.  It's so easy to slip into ad hominem attacks against Limbaugh
because of his "schtick"-- his politics are pretty sound. (His zinger is the
best one quoted, BTW:-)

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure."
-- Jacques Chirac, President of France
"As far as France is concerned, you're right."
-- Rush Limbaugh

???

Yeah, good punch below the belt--but then again (warning--blanket attribute
forthcoming), that's all Republicans *can* do--punch below the belt--for
they can't attack the issues, they can only attack the folks presenting the
issues.

That leaves Roy Blount and
Rumsfeld.  Nuff said...

And I'll say another thing-- Rummy is *exactly* the kind of "no BS" guy I want
as my Def Sec!

Well good for you, is your choice.  I'd rather have someone who wants to
resolve issues diplomatically and peacefully.

Dave K