 Off-Topic / Debate / 18061
18060  |  18062
Subject:
Cost Of Living (was Re: Ed's opinion of Larry and other trivia)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:55:21 GMT

While the schools themselves may not need money (that's debatable for many areas -
if a school is falling apart from lack of money for basic maintenance along with
much-needed upgrades, it needs money), the teachers do.

If a teacher cannot afford to live within an hour of the public school (note
public, not private) that they work in, then I think they are underpaid.  Of
course, the same goes for firemen, police, etc, etc.

Too often it is the case out here in CA that teachers/police/firemen live an hour
or MORE away from their job, and often still can't afford to buy a house, even with
2 incomes.  That's just pathetic.

Heck, I myself can't afford a house out here in CA.  My wife and I make a good
living compared to the national avg income, I'm sure, but we can't even begin to
afford to buy a house within an hour of our workplaces without buying in
neighborhoods I wouldn't feel safe parking my most beat up car in, let alone living
there.

We've given up on the American Dream in CA, we're moving to FL the first half of
next year, where we can PROBABLY afford a house without eating PB&J for the next 30
years (of course, unless Sun keeps me onboard, we won't be able to buy a house
right as we move, it may be a few years.  That's sad, considering we have a pretty
sizable chunk of cash set aside for a downpayment).

Christopher Weeks wrote:

To what extent is it just a difference in priorities?  I don't think more money
is what our schools need (and I'm certainly not a Republican).  More respect is
more like it.  My favored educational model ( http://www.sudval.org ) is
cheaper (and by the standards that I value, more successful) than current
public education.