 Off-Topic / Debate / 17966
Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:07:20 GMT

If EVERYONE ignores his responses he mostly goes away and only puts
in the occasional URL from external sources, some of which are even useful
conversation starters.

Y'know, I've actually thought about Scott's communciation style here a
little bit and my general impression is that he, like many of us, tries to
read what is here and make reasonably quick responses without getting too
bogged down in the mire.

And I have some sympathy for his reliance on links too -- I know I have
begun to use them at length.  I have even used numerous links to the same
sort of material when the question has been "asked and answered" ad nauseam.

By contrast, when one makes lengthy posts one often receives lengthy replies
deconstructing each niggling little point one tried to make.  When one is
tossing off posts fairly frequently one does not have the time to edit and
re-edit, ad infinitum. One wants to be given the benefit of the doubt over
the details hoping the larger argument comes across at least semi-coherently.

If we could all present our ideas, giving and receiving "the benefit of the
doubt" generously from others, with an eye to at least some formal debate
techniques, and possessing at least the minimal requisite knowledge of the
subject under discussion (or the ready admission that one lacks same), then
it could actually get good here.  Or at least better.

Anyway, when Scott is not acting in "personal vendetta" mode I find many of
his posts fairly interesting.

-- Hop-Frog

Well said Richard.

What I would endeavour to change in the above, though, is, well, let me put
it this way--

Having a debate where one side says, "This, this, this, this and this proves
my point"  (of course, all 'this''s are backed up by link and/or citations)
and someone comes along and says, 'well, this one point of yours is
erronous, therefore the entire arguement is erronous' is, imho, wrong.  Is
like the OJ  Trial--we have the blood, we have the DNA, we have the motive,
we have the whole bunch of everything, all pointing to OJ, and yet--the
gloves don't fit!!--well, that *must* mean the rest of the case is false, so
that's that!

Now if someone refutes *every* point, then the hypothesis presented must be
re-examined.  This is why I usually don't snip any portion of a post I reply
to, unless it's just to go off on a Dave tangent or to clear things up.

Dave K.