 Off-Topic / Debate / 18017
Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 15:14:40 GMT

I have endeavoured to read cites posted and my reading comprehension is
pretty good.  If I come away with a different conclusion than other people,
it doesn't mean I misunderstood, it could mean we have differing opinions.
Not from you, but the 'refutations' I have received for some of my posts in
the past are, 'He's Canadian, his opinion does not matter', 'He's trolling,
his opinion does not matter', 'He's sounding like so 'n so, his opinion does
not matter', 'He believes in God, his opinion does not matter.'

I will be the first to admit I'm wrong--this very thread bears that out.
That said, When I refute every single 'niggly' point made by someone with
what I consider to be a very logical framework and understanding of the
issue, and then the entire thread gets deleted and in its place I'm told I'm
wrong, with absolutely no points refuted *at all* (and this has happened
numerous times), I begin to wonder about the ability to compromise, the
ability to see a 'bigger picture', the ability to see things 'outside the
box', the ability to debate the points and issues without attacking the
person, in others.

I totally agree with the above two paragraphs, whether they're applied to
you, or to someone else, anyone doing these things is doing off-topic.debate
a significant disservice in my view, and really ought not to do that.

What I would question is whether that's happening as much as it appears to.