 Off-Topic / Debate / 17992
17991  |  17993
Subject:
Tunnel through the center of the Earth (was Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:47:46 GMT

Dan Boger wrote:
And reading Frank's example about the onion and the layers, the effective
mass for attracting an object is lessened as we fall down the hole--I think
this means that our 'terminal velocity' speed would lessen as we get closer
to the center, so does this, in turn, mean that the closer we get to the
center of the planet, the slower we would fall--that we wouldn't have to
get
past the center before we start slowing down, due to being pulled back to
the center?

yup - you won't slow down as you near the center, you'll just accelerate more
slowly.  To slow down a force need to be applied to your falling (flailing?)
body.

Which of course happens as soon as you pass the center...

Though the friction of rolling down the side of the tunnel might be
enough to stop you at the center.

Frank