 Off-Topic / Debate / 18029
Re: debates (was: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:03:37 GMT

Well, that's sort of technically true, but at the same time, the thread
wouldn't have started without the context that leads to it.  In that way, it is
a continuation of more than one other thread in which TWW was cited.  So I
think that's what Ed was picking up on.

Exactly.

The crux of it though, is that forming your opinions based on any TV show is
somewhat dangerous because of the propagandist nature of the medium.  If
we see people accepting as fact, things presented in fictional TV shows,
it may concern us.  OTOH, if you think about what they're saying a bunch, and
agree with it, then there isn't any harm.  TV as a medium is certainly capable
of bringing a whole world of new ideas to us.

So what medium isn't spewing propaganda?

I remember reading something in my childhood, it may have been an article in TV
Guide, that talked about the many letters the performers in Soap Operas got
condemning their behavior...as if they had anything to do with real life!  So
the notion that people *don't* believe too much reality into TV shows is silly.

Chris

It would be interesting to see the ratio of those letters received to viewers.
IS it 1%, 10%.  I don;t think it would be very high at all.