 Off-Topic / Debate / 17982
17981  |  17983
Subject:
I believe in IDIC (was Re: I don't "believe" in Australia (was Re: John Leo's opinion))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:54:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Constantine Hannaher writes:

This is what I meant by Spock phrasing it better--he said something like 'on
a planet with positive gravity'--it's ST:TOS--when was the last time I
caught one of those episodes? ;)

Was that from "The Alternative Factor?"  I haven't seen much TOS in quite
a while, so my memory may be faulty.

Actually, the phrase can be Googled and a WAV of it found fairly readily. The
episode was "Court Martial" and Spock was comparing his confidence in knowing
that if he let go of a hammer on a planet with positive gravity, he would know
that it had, in fact, fallen without having seen it do so to his confidence in
knowing that his captain would never click the third in a row of identical
buttons (labeled "Jettison Pod") without having first clicked the second button
(for "Red Alert").

It was Spocks way of saying human nature is as reliable as the forces of
natural law.  I thought that idea, though others might disagree, was quite
astute.

Now that my laserdisc player is repaired, this thread was as good an excuse as
any to watch the episode again. Besides the human factor engineering blunder of
having identically shaped and operated controls achieve wildly different
results, there is the horribly sloppy storage (or worse, memory) partitioning
that allows a change in one program (the audiovisual recording of bridge
activities) affect another program (three dimensional chess), and the question
of what amounts to who has root access to the Enterprise's computer.

Don't miss the "lounge mix" orchestration of the theme playing under the
introduction of attorney Shaw.

Constantine

<snip>

Yes, also don't miss the "heart filter" that McCoy uses to filter out the
heartbeats of the people on the bridge (it's a common microphone), as well
as some great shots in the engineering room.

Though, as I have stated, it's been a long while since I've seen the ep.

The voted 'best episode' is 'City on the Edge of Forever' and I'll admit
it's a good one.  But my personal favourite is still 'Balance of
Terror'--the whole submarine motif (Romulan cloaked ships), and the racism
(Romulans/Vulcans)--it was a very well done story.

On Enterprise this week, they 'ran into' the Romulan Star Empire--it was
also a pretty good show.  I might add here that Enterprise was on at the
same time as West Wing this week--Gasp!!  Thank goodness for VCR's ;)

Yeah, basically I'll never escape the geekdom that is my trekkiness.

Dave K.