 Off-Topic / Debate / 17961
Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:47:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

Dr. Laura is another fine example of fictional programming that is
distressingly perceived as real or true or accurate.  I know you're
referring to a Laura-esque character, but the point remains that people do
indeed believe fictional shows to equate to reality.

Hmm.  I trust you're not claiming that the Dr. Laura Show is fictional as in
"written and acted out".  She does host a radio show, people do call in, and
she does respond to them as presented.

  I was unclear--my bad.  You're 100% correct that there's no real script
for her show, so I should have been more precise in my accusation.
  It's been documented that the Rush Limbaugh radio show, for example,
screens its callers, and I believe I've read that Dr. Laura does the same.
Some screening is appropriate, lest you get an endless string of phony
phonecalls, but when a program screens its callers for purposes of deception
and misrepresentation, that's when it enters the realm of fiction.  Have you
ever heard a caller with an actual degree in psychology call into Ms.
Schlessinger (who is, by the way, no moral authority herself, which is
another reason why "Dr." Laura is a fictional character) who actually
refuted any of Laura's views or observations?  Or has there ever been a
successful on-air refutation of any of Limbaugh's wackier views?  I'd be
surprised if it happened often or at all.  This kind of directed screening
serves to create a false (ie, fictional) portrait of the character's wisdom
or correctness.

The relative merits of said show are of course debateable.

  In "Howard Stern's Private Parts," and frequently on his daily radio
program, the point is made that the on-air version of Howard is a fictional
character or persona, as opposed to his real personality.  The same is true
of Dr. Laura et al, but they don't seem to want to admit it.

    Dave!