 Off-Topic / Debate / 17986
Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:11:20 GMT

Quoteth Dave:

  Just for reference, I don't think "quoteth" is a word (TIMBW). Are you
thinking of "quoth" perhaps?

A list can never be a web, nor can it be a 'chain if inferences'--they're
different, they describe different things--hence the different words to
describe them.

  Since you're on a laudable anti-postmodernist kick, I'll throw a PM word
at you for your arsenal:
  Rhizome.  In its basic meaning it describes a plant's root structure, but
postmodernists have hijacked the word for use in describing complex
interrelated systems with no discernable center.  The main reason is that it
wouldn't seem "cool" and "insightful" if they'd just used an existing word
like "web" or "network."

     Dave!