 Off-Topic / Debate / 18010
Re: John Leo's opinion of "The West Wing"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 22:15:04 GMT

Jefferson

Y'know, let's get away from Jefferson.  If we are going to discuss
legislative intent in the Constitution we can refer to the Federalist Papers
and the many debates that were had state by state.  Some of the quotes I
provided last time were from those debates and precisely on point in
discussing the meaning of the 2nd Amendment.  It's really not quite the tea
leaf reading I think you are trying to make it out to be. But anyway...

How this applies to "real-world" writings is less clear to me.  I'm inclined
to say that it's largely the same...

What you mean is "legal" writing.  And if need be, attempts are made at
clarification by actually including definitions or helpful references.  In
the  Federal Codes you will find significant footnotes on intent and the
precise problem the the law is intended to address, esp. in more recent years.

What can one do?  You are expected to know and follow the law, they try to
spell it out in detail.

Worrisome?  Sometimes.  Inevitable?  Just about!  At some point the
language of the Constitution will be as irrelevant to the current common
lexicon as the language of the Magna Carta is to us.  Then what?

Actually, I don't find Magna Carta that irrelevant.

As to "then what?"

As you see -- increasing entropy.

-- Hop-Frog