 Marketplace / Shopping / 11306
Re: 6 new bulk packs at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:31:16 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Gregory Muri wrote:

Take a look at the response Jake
posted a few minutes ago.  He had to "beg, borrowed, and pleaded to make
this happen".  If this is the case then it is clear to me that Lego as a
company doesn't care or is too blind to see how important this issue is to
some fans of their products.

That is entirely possible. As Jake has indicated, the existance of AFOLs is
still relatively unknown in some corners of the company. However, even if our
true impact to the business was well known and understood within Lego - would
this type of decision still be made? Maybe. We really don't completely
understand the rationale behind the change and it's likely we never will - as it
is part of their internal development process. It may have been something as
trivial as a designer's "color harmony" inprovement, or an extensive in-depth
consumer focus study, or even a just a cost reduction choice. Nevertheless it's
really tough to make business decisions that satisfy everyone. We came up on the
short end of this decision, but we've won with other ones before like the ISD.

You know Spencer there is something VERY interesting to what you said here.
I would bet that AFOLS would be a hell of a lot better judge of what Lego
would be successful with than the management team they have or have had!
Just my opinion mind you, but one that I find very interesting.

Again entirely possible. I'm just trying to play a little devil's advocate here.
The view of the outside world from within Lego and conversely our viewpoint of
the market can be completely different. And neither one is necessarily absolute
or completely correct.

Something
to think about though....most AFOLS thought that Bionicle was a HUGE mistake
on Lego's part.  However, the reality is that this product line has done
amazing things to keep their financials from being far worse.  Cuious if
Bionicle never existed and AFOL type decisions were made with the direction
of Lego, would they ever have faced the financial decline they have
experienced?

I still tend to think they would be in financial decline. But of course I
subscribe to the classical "reduction in children's attention spans & the
undercutting by cheaper competitors" theory for Lego's decline. Unfortunately I
don't really have an easy solution for that.

Spencer