 LEGO Company / 1798
Re: Top secret project - we need your help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 14:31:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Steve Doerner wrote:
   ... I have not seen anyone request bulk pack of the 30401px1, Baseplate, Road 16 x 32 Ramp, Straight. And it is not in the survey. I think it would be a very desireable part as I have not been able to find any on eBay or BrickLink for a long time. It was only available in one expensive set (6600) and there was only one per set. It is a very useful part for virtually any town project. I would very much like to buy quite a few of these parts. (This is my first post after lurking for four years, so please don’t make me beg! ;-) )

Thanks for listening.

Steve

The straight piece and its curved counterpart look quite useful and could make good bridges. When I saw the set I was put off both by the price and by the two inclined ramps, which are too steep for realistic town scenery and make up a large part of the price. The maximum normal road slope is about 1 in 5, with 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 on some tracks. 1 in 5 would be a 32 stud long roadplate with 16 plates under one end. The ramps have 12 bricks (36 plates under one end, making them about 1 in 2.4!

The inclined ramps are a bit too large for a multi-storey car park ramp too. I see them as another example of a piece with high play value for kids but little realistic value for AFOLs.

Perhaps a pack of 5 straight flat ramps would be good, but the price wouldn’t be much less than the set you mentioned. Still, the yield (no. useful parts / no. total parts) would be 100%.

Mark Bellis