 LEGO Company / 1762
1761  |  1763
Subject:
Server upgraded and hopefully fixed! (Was: Top secret project - we need your help)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:43:10 GMT

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I have upgraded the memory in the
webserver that is running the Bulk Bricks survey.
HOPEFULLY this will stop the issues that some users have been having with
their carts getting blown out.

In addition I have changed the site this morning, so if an error occurs,
then the website will immediately inform me of the error and give me very
detailed information that I can use to help identify the problem.

Really sorry for the trouble that some users had - we knew this survey would
be popular, but never in my wildest dreams think we would generate the
traffic it did. FYI - yesterday traffic to the PaBTrak website was 3 times
the amount that my company's website had. My companies website is one of the
busier ones out there and runs on a 6 webserver, 4 database server farm,
made up of very powerful machines. The PaBTrak server by comparision runs on
an old underpowered single server - so in hindsight, I'm not suprised it
stuggled!
The extra memory is a short term 'bandaid', but in order to help future
developments, I have today ordered myself a new fast server with bags of
memory and processing power!

So, sorry once again for the problems some of you had. Hopefully the survey
should be much more robust now.

Richard
www.briktrak.com
www.pabtrak.com